Running commentary from the
* I’m glad
* The Heels are playing Valpairaso. Their nickname is “The Crusaders.” Talk about politically incorrect. “Redskins” is bad, but “Crusaders” is worse: “Yeah, our school is named after armies sent by the Pope to kill Muslims in the middle east.”
* Valpo forward Urule Igbavboa could be WWE wrestler Carlito’s brother. It must be the hair.
* Ron Thulin is on the play-by-play. Dan Bonner is doing the color
* Play by play guys should pronounce names correctly. It is a basic job requirement, like a house painter should not drip paint on your carpet.
Thulin did not know how to pronounce Tar Heel guard Marcus Ginyard’s name. He pronounced it as if rhymes with a place you grow grapes – GIN yerd. It does not rhyme with “vineyard,” however. The accent is on the second syllable, gin YARD.
At least he did not drip paint on my carpet.
Update: Even after they played a clip of coach Roy Williams discussing Ginyard and saying his name correctly, Thulin still got it wrong.
Bonner pronounces it correctly.
Apparently someone talked to Thulin at halftime, because he is now saying it correctly. Sometimes.
* Speaking of professional wrestling, with 5:54 remaining in the game and
* Williams called timeout with 2:32 remaining, called off the canines and emptied the bench. Final Score: 90-58.